Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Kajal Donovan

I am an English woman and am living in Trivandrum. I joined the the British Library last year and have been really enjoying the facilities it offers. I borrow a lot of very good English films and also talking books and BBC programmes on CD. I also borrow the books and occasionally use the computers.

This has added another dimension to my life here in India.

So I was extremely unhappy to hear that because of cuts the Library in Trivandrum is closing. I think this is a big mistake.

Whenever I go to the library it is full of local people, often young people using the facilities or studying there. It provides so much for the people of Trivandrum I can't understand why they should even think of closing it. English has such a high profile in the state of Kerala, being the link language of India and the language of business, computers etc internationally and I would have thought these libraries should be expanding.

So I would like to be involved in any action which you may take to try and persuade the powers that be to change their mind.

Regards.
Caz Donovan

No comments: